Sunday, July 19, 2015

Totem Animal--Deer

Deer Totem

 

Associated with Buddha and Saint Francis of Assisi, I refer to Deer as the Totem of Buddhas and Saints.  This gentle and patient creature also teaches us about forgiveness and compassion.

I have seen deer race across streets, but I have also seen deer taking their time to cross the street while glancing at the waiting cars and people with cameras who snap pictures of the deer.  A deer nonchalantly walking across a crosswalk in Coupville, Washington floored me. I'm the one who was nearly run over by a car (well, I'm exaggerating, but I did stop in the middle of the street to watch the deer).

It's true I saw the movie Bambi as a child and so the deer impression goes deep with me.  I also come from a family where half my heritage is Finnish and many of those relatives have been known to hunt deer, something I could never do.  My earliest memories of deer took place on camping trips where the deer would quietly walk into the camp looking for handouts.  My most recent experiences revolve around urban deer which surprise me, such as in the photograph I include here.  This deer showed up with her family to munch on the flowers and hedges of a nearby home.

If Deer is your Totem, you tread lightly in the world, play around with visibility,  prefer a vegetarian diet and people would refer to you as patient and gentle.  Most likely you are an introvert but one who enjoys a walk in the woods and feel enchanted by the natural world as if you live in a faerie tale.  Like Owl, Fox, Wolf and Bear, Deer is also a mythological and legendary animal.  Follow a deer's trail and you might just end up in a wordless space where all worlds come together as One.




No comments:

Post a Comment